| Good-bye beautiful Stehekin |
The first day started out mostly cloudy. By the last couple hours up to Rainy Pass the rain started to come down hard. We found a good little camp site next to the trailhead parking lot at Rainy Pass with a newly cleaned pit toilet nearby; what a treat! We met Yeti that day, who was attempting to finish his thru hike from last year. He was an interesting character. As we started chatting he told us how he had to be rescued out of a tree this summer after trying to set the distance record for a lawn chair pilot. He didn't get that record, but he did manage to accidentally set the altitude record in a lawn chair at 21,000ft before landing in that tree. He's going to be on the Today Show on Oct 1st on a clip about following your dream. Look him up if you are interested, his name is Joe Barbara.
| Cloudy view at Cutthroat Pass |
| Me and Hiker Box; Thurs morning view of the N. Cascades |
| Midnight Chocolate and I at Harts Pass |
| View from inside one of the big washouts |
| Midnight Chocolate and I at the Northern Terminus |
I thought a lot over the final few days about the friends I made, the memories we had along the way and how fast this all went. It seemed like the first 100 miles took so long, the 700 miles of desert seemed like forever and now here we were with just days left to go. In the last few miles my mind flashed with a photo slide show of places I saw, funny moments, sunrises, trail towns, trail angels, etc. I tried to replay the entire hike in fast forward just to make sure I could still remember it all. I didn't want to forget a thing and yet I know pieces of this would quickly fade.
We hiked on another 4 miles into Canada for our last night out in the woods. We got there early, had a fire and hot cocoa. It was a quiet and calm night. I was cozy and warm in my sleeping and woke up a few times to light rain hitting the tent. By the next morning the rain had again subsided and we hiked out our last 5 miles with no precipitation. There was an ultra-marathon going on that morning so we got to cheer on runners coming up the trail as we headed out to the road. This was a good way to end the trip and kept my mind on something else. When you really thing about it, this hike ends like any other. You get to a trailhead, get in a vehicle and make your way home.
Katie's parents picked us up in Manning Park. It was so great to see familiar faces. What took us a month to travel on our feet through Washington we covered in a 65mph drive down I-5 in a half day. So much more noise, moving so fast, closed-in air circulation, road vibration. My legs constantly stiff after each stint in the car. It seemed so wrong heading South after making forward progress North for so long. But when I looked out east over the mountains we had just been in, the weather looked ominous. Maybe this isn't so wrong after all...
I am not sad about leaving the trail. If I had another 1,000 miles to go that would have been okay with me. But knowing this was the end of the trail I was accepting of that and was ready. I am excited for what lies ahead for me. What is that you may ask? I don't know quite yet, but I have a pretty good feeling it will be filled with more adventures and good times.
| Midnight Chocolate at the Southern Terminus - Day 1 |
| Cowgirl at the Southern Terminus - Day 1 |
What an accomplishment!!! We are so proud of you both!!! Love you!
ReplyDeleteTwo beautiful adventurers . . . in and out!
ReplyDeletehmm. Did you get Chief's comments? not sure. He wrote a log book for the two of you! Congrats! Come visit us....anytime.
ReplyDeleteWell, it doesn't look like he did it right? He said CONGRATS and told you a bit about his knee, which he just had drained of loads of fluid! yuck. He did it and I am so proud of ALL of you. Sorry his comment has disappeared?
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on "taking the leap" and following through; a powerful encouragement for all of us who carry around a yet unfulfilled dream, to go ahead and take our own leap. Thanks for so dilligently carrying us along on your journey.
ReplyDeletePeder
Thanks Peder! Taking the leap was the best decision ever! I have no regrets. Glad you enjoyed the blog.
ReplyDelete